This study will evaluate anti-malarial/anti-infective single-agent and in combination for patients with confirmed COVID-19 infection. The first combination to be evaluated is atovaquone and azithromycin.
This is an open-label, non-randomized study to evaluate anti-malarial/anti-infective single-agents and combination therapies for patients with confirmed COVID-19 infection requiring therapy as determined by risk factors for complication (age, comorbid illness) or the presence of respiratory compromise. The first combination to be evaluated is atovaquone/azithromycin. Other combinations may be added to the study at future amendments as information of potential benefit arises. The first part of the study will enroll 25 evaluable male and female patients 18 years of age or older with confirmed COVID-19 infection.
Atovaquone 750 mg PO Q12H for up to 10 Days Azithromycin 500 mg PO Daily 1 followed by 250 mg PO Daily for up to 10 days (days 2-10)
Other Name: Mepron/Zithromax
- Male and Female patients age 18 years or older
- COVID-19 confirmed positive test results
- High risk for complications including with Medium (5-6) or High (More than or equal to 7) NEWS score
- Hematology criteria: ANC >500 cells/mcl, HGB >9 g/dl, Platelet count >75,000/mcl
- Metabolic criteria: Serum creatinine 30 ml/min, AST/ALT
Michael Gordon, MD
HonorHealth Research Institute